Types of Homeshares
Rent Only/no routine tasks provided
If you are looking for some extra cash to stretch your monthly budget but don’t need a housemate to do chores, we can help you find just the right person to share your home. Rent can vary on a case by case basis but the lower it is, the more potential candidates you will meet.
Some tasks provided
If you are looking for a housemate that can offer extra help around the house in exchange for some or all of the rent, we can find a match. Housemates provide an average of 6-8 hours of service a week plus pay a small rent or help with utility bills. When we meet with you, we will discuss what a fair exchange might be for the tasks you want help with.
Services someone sharing your home might provide to you:
- A “just in case” presence
- Meal preparation
- Rides to appointments/errands
- Light housekeeping
- Snow shoveling/yard work
- Pet care
- Computer help
To Participate in the Program
all applicants must:
- Have no criminal record history or pending charges of crimes against person or property;
- No history of abuse of any kind;
- Have four references who can recommend you for the program and speak to your lifestyle and character. Those looking for housing must also have a positive landlord reference as well;
- No substance or alcohol abuse.
Requirements for your home:
- Must be located within our service area: Chittenden, Addison, Franklin, Grand Isle, Lamoille, Orange, and Washington counties;
- Have a private bedroom;
- Is safe and sanitary
A homeshare host offers a private bedroom and shared common space in exchange for rent, help around the home or a combination of the two.
How Our Hosts Benefit
- 78% of hosts feel less lonely
- 78% feel happier
- 76% feel safer in their home
- 63% enjoy their home more
- 59% say household chores are completed more regularly
- 54% worry less about money
- 50% sleep better
- 43% feel healthier
- 43% have more energy
*Results from HomeShare Vermont’s 2019 Outcomes Survey of matched hosts
If you’re ready to share your home, the first step is to apply for our program, so we can find you a compatible housemate. You can find paper and online applications here.