To be eligible for the program, all applicants must:
- Have no criminal record history or pending charges of crimes against person or property;
- No history of abuse of any kind;
- Have four references who can recommend you for the program and speak to your lifestyle and character. Those looking for housing must also have a positive landlord reference as well;
- No substance or alcohol abuse.
Requirements for your home:
- Must be located within our service area: Chittenden, Addison, Franklin, and Grand Isle counties;
- Have a private bedroom;
- Is safe and sanitary
A homeshare host offers a private bedroom and shared common space in exchange for rent, help around the home or a combination of the two.
Types of Homeshares
Rent Only/no routine tasks provided
If you are looking for some extra cash to stretch your monthly budget but don’t need a housemate to do chores, we can help you find just the right homesharer. Rent can vary on a case by case basis but the less it is, the more potential candidates you will meet.
Some tasks provided
If you are looking for a housemate that can offer extra help around the house in exchange for some or all of the rent, we can find a match. Housemates provide an average of 6-8 hours of service a week plus pay a small rent or help with utility bills. When we meet with you, we will discuss what a fair exchange might be for the tasks you want help with.
Services someone sharing your home might provide to you:
- A “just in case” presence
- Meal preparation
- Rides to appointments/errands
- Light housekeeping
- Snow shoveling/yard work
- Pet care
- Computer help